Some insects that we know are crickets, ants, wasps, bees, grasshoppers,
beetles, moths, dragonflies, butterflies and flies.
WHAT ARE INSECTS ?
- Insects have six legs (when fully grown).
- The body of an insect is made up of three parts.
( head - thorax - abdomen )
- Each insect has one pair of antennae or feelers.
The feelers help the insect find food.
- They have their "skeletons" on the outside (like a shell).
- Insects have one or two pairs of wings.
- Insects are cold-blooded.
- They have no lungs, but small openings on their bodies.
- Insects lay many eggs.
- Most insects go through a life cycle called metamorphosis.
(egg, larva, pupa, adult). The "baby" insect does not look at
all like the adult insect.
- Some insects go through only three changes (like the grasshopper).
NOTE: A spider is not an insect. Spiders have 8 legs.
The spider has two parts to its body and no antennae.
LET'S LOOK AT AN INSECT
- The insect's body has three parts - head, thorax and abdomen.
- The head contains the feelers (antennae), eyes and mouth.
- The thorax is the middle part. The legs and
wings are fastened to the thorax. It contains the main muscles
so the insect can run, fly, swim, or walk.
- The abdomen is where the stomach is and where
the eggs are produced.
Some insects have a stinger at the tip of the abdomen
ALL KINDS OF INSECTS
- Insects are the largest group of living things on this earth.
- They live almost everywhere on earth.
- FLIES lay thousands of eggs and spread germs.
- MOSQUITOES lay their eggs in water.
The larvae are called wigglers.
- ANTS live in a large group called a colony .
- BEES are the only insects that make food for man.
- TERMITES are harmful insects. They eat wood in houses.
- There are many HARMFUL insects that eat farm crops.
They destroy corn, wheat, fruit and other crops.
- There are insects that kill trees.
- There are also HELPFUL insects. Without some insects
there would be no flowers, fruits or vegetables and
other plants ... some insects pollinate plants (carry pollen).
MORE about INSECTS