city hall (opened 1976)
Construction of the Post Office Building ( photo ) began in 1906 and was completed in 1909. The building is on the corner of Scarth Street and 11th Avenue, across from the Cornwall Centre. It was Regina's main post office from 1907 to 1956. The Legislative Assembly held its Session there in 1909 and 1910. It served as Regina's City Hall from 1963 to 1976 until the new City Hall was opened (picture above). Then this building was renamed the City Hall Mall.
beautiful columns on the Albert Street Bridge
The present-day Albert Street Bridge ( photo ) is not the original bridge. The first bridge was built in 1885 and was about a block west. It was replaced during the construction of the Legislative Building and the creation of Wascana Lake. On November 10, 1930 the bridge was dedicated to the Saskatchewan soldiers who lost their lives in World War I (1914-1918). The bridge was refurbished in 1988.
beautiful flower gardens in front of the Legislative Building
a view of downtown Regina from the Legislative Building
In 1908 work began on the the Legislative Building which was built on the south side of Wascana Creek. Three hundred men worked day and night for a year and a half to prepare the stone front. The building was designed in the shape of a cross. It is 53 meters from the ground to the top of the dome. In 1912 the building was officially opened at a final cost of approximately $1.8 million.
A bridge and a dam were built on Albert Street (1908) to hold back the waters of Wascana Creek. Another bridge was built on Broad Street (1908) to stop the water between Albert Street and Broad Street. A lake was formed in the front of the Legislative Building. In the 1930s as part of a work program over 2000 men deepened and widened Wascana Lake and worked on the Albert Street Memorial Bridge.
a view of the Legislative Building from the north side of Wascana Lake
a view of the Legislative Building and the flower gardens