OLDEST BUILDING IN REGINA|
The RCMP Chapel is Regina's oldest building. It was built in
1883 and was used as a mess hall. In 1885 it was damaged in a fire,
was rebuilt and used as a chapel. Services are still held at the chapel.
OLDEST BUILDING DOWNTOWN
St. Paul's Anglican Cathedral on 12th Avenue and McIntyre
is the oldest building in downtown Regina. It was built in 1894
and is still in use.
MOVIES IN A TENT
The first movie theater in Regina was a tent!
In 1906 Barney Groves set up a black tent
at Broad Street and 10th Avenue.
In 1912-1913 the McCallum-Hill Building was built.
It was the tallest building in the city (ten-storeys).
The building was located downtown on Scarth Street
and contained offices.
On October 31, 1982 the building was demolished (in six seconds) and the
twin towers were built (McCallum-Hill Towers).
BANKING - THE FIRST ATM
The first Automated Teller machine in Canada was set up by
the Sherwood Credit Union in Regina.
BUILDING WITH MARBLE
Marble from all over the world was used for the Legislative Building.
The pillars and floors are made from thirty-four types of marble.
A FOUNTAIN FROM ENGLAND
The Trafalgar fountain which is east of the Legislative Building came from London, England.
It is made of red granite from Scotland and is set in a pool.
The fountain once stood in Trafalgar Square in London from 1848 to 1939.
OVER A MILLION VISITORS |
The Saskatchewan Science Centre had more than a million visitors
since it was opened in 1989. It is Saskatchewan's #1 family attraction.
ONLY COLLEGE FOR FIRST NATIONS PEOPLE
The University of Regina is the only one in Canada that has
a college for First Nations people. The Saskatchewan Indian Federated College
(SIFC) is run by and for First Nations people.
LARGEST LIVESTOCK SHOW IN CANADA
The Canadian Western Agribition is held every fall in Regina.
It is the largest livestock show in Canada featuring cattle, sheep,
goats, horses, elk, bison, alpacas, llamas and other farm animals.
A rodeo is one of the events. People come from many countries around
the world to Regina for the Agribition.
LARGEST CURLING RINK |
The world's largest curling rink was built in Regina in 1909.
The outdoor rink had nine sheets of ice.
THE LONGEST BRIDGE
The Albert Street Bridge is the longest bridge which
stretches over the shortest body of water.
When the R.H.Williams and Sons Department Store was built in 1910
it was the largest department store west of Winnipeg. The building
was on 11th Ave. and Hamilton St. and was 5 storeys high.
There were large windows where displays were set up. In 1946 it was
changed to Simpson's Department Store. In 1982 the building was demolished.
A DESTRUCTIVE FIRE
On Januart 23, 1949, one of the most destructive fires in western
Canada destroyed the car barns, 17 trolley coaches, 9 gasoline buses,
5 steel streetcars and 9 wooden cars.
A DEADLY TORNADO
On June 30, 1912 a tornado hit Regina. Hundreds of people were
injured and 28 people died. Many homes and businesses were destroyed.
REGINA'S FIRST FIRE DEPARTMENT|
In 1884 the Regina Fire Department made up of volunteers who fought fires
with whatever they had available, like pails and garden
tools. The first Fire Hall was
located in the back of the Town Hall (11th Avenue and Scarth Street).
A rope attached to a bell at the Catholic Church nearby was the first fire alarm.
FIRST POLICE OFFICER
On July 19, 1892 Town
Council approved the appointment of James Williams as Regina’s first Town
Constable. He worked out of the Town Hall on 11th Avenue and Scarth Street. Williams received a monthly
salary of $50 and a free uniform. He used his own gun.
Some of his duties included
catching stray animals, keeping livestock off the streets, breaking up
fights, ringing the town bell at certain hours, and issuing business licenses.
A NICKEL FOR A RIDE
In 1911 Regina had 4 streetcars and 10 miles of track. It cost five cents per trip.
Two years later there were more tracks, 34 streetcars and 150 people
working for the Regina Municipal Railway.