Mammals are the most intelligent creatures on earth. They
learn to adapt to many different climates and living conditions.
Some mammals are tame, some are wild, some are very large
and some are small.
MAMMALS are alike in these ways:
- They have fur or hair.
- The babies drink milk from their mother's bodies.
- They have a backbone.
- They have four limbs (arms, legs, flippers).
- They are warm-blooded. (Warm-blooded means that their
bodies stay at almost the same temperature all the time.)
- Most mammals are born alive.
- They breathe air through lungs.
Most baby mammals grow inside their mother and are born alive.
There are a few mammals that grow inside an egg in their mother's body.
Bears, apes, wolves, the hippopotamus, rodents (rabbit, gopher,
chipmunk ), lions, tigers, whales, dolphins and people are all
Some unique mammals are whales and dolphins, bats, the armadillo and
The armadillo gobbles up hundreds of ants,
and other insects with its long,
MORE about MAMMALS
next - BIRDS